Teaching your kids about money can feel like a daunting task. The best way to help kids learn about money is by example. This is exactly how to make money as a kid to help learn managing money and financial literacy.
If you are too young to have a job outside of your home, you can still make money. There are easy ways to make money as a kid.
Table of Contents
How to Earn Money as a Kid
There are stories of kids with good ideas and a few lucky breaks who go on to become self-made millionaires.
It’s true that not everyone can become a millionaire as a kid, but there have always been kids that make money with no experience.
As a kid, having your own money is important, but there are also practical reasons for kids to find fast, easy ways to earn money.
Not all families are wealthy. A child who comes from a family with limited means will likely want to make their own money for a number of reasons.
A kid with their own money can purchase items that their family cannot afford, such as video games, brand name clothing, etc.
While most districts and jurisdictions don’t allow minors to earn a paycheck until they are age 16, that doesn’t mean kids need to wait until their mid-teens to earn their first income.
The fact is, generations have grown up earning an allowance or spending cash with chores, work and tasks here and there. Today is no different except maybe that the Internet opens up more money-making ideas for kids that can be earned from home.
But it all boils down to the same thing, earning money. And for kids, there’s no time like the present to get started, even for younger children.
That’s right, having a child start their own blog or video online not only gives them an ability to learn these tools in real-time, including accounting, they also can take these talents with them into adulthood.
Google and YouTube offer easy ways to get started with a related blog and video tools. Think it’s beyond a 10-year-old?
Think again. One of the biggest YouTube earners today is an 8-year-old in Japan who profiles toys on her YouTube channel.
There are other options for how to make money online for kids.
Teaching kids the value of selling online and marketing their old things can be useful too. They learn accounting, sales and marketing by selling their old, unwanted items on auction sites and also learn how to deal with buyers on email as well.
Of course, there are classic ways to earn too, like mowing lawns, washing cars, weeding, and babysitting.
In fact, babysitting is in high demand and pays extremely well for young teens.
5 Tips for Kids to Make Money
There are a number of easy ways to make money as a kid, even if you are not quite a teen.
With that said, it is important to understand that no matter what type of business you start, succeeding takes work.
Even when you are out to make money as a kid, there are some business basics that will be important.
To be successful, examine your idea to see how it fits the following criteria:
- Demand – Is there a demand for the product or service you are selling. If people don’t need your products or services, it will be difficult to make money. For example, selling hot chocolate in the summer probably wouldn’t be a good idea. There is no demand for warm drinks when it’s hot outside.
- Setting Your Price – Know what people are willing to pay for your product or service. If other kids in the neighborhood are charging half of what you are charging to mow lawns, you will not get the business you need to be successful.
- Advertise – Getting the word out is one of the most important elements of success with any business. If people don’t know about your product or service, they won’t know where to go when they need their lawn mowed or a fresh glass of lemonade.
- Happy Customers – Make sure you give your customers the product or service they expect. Successful businesses have always put their customers first.
- Profit & Loss – Examining your profits compared to your cost isn’t just for adult businesses. If you are spending more than you are making, you’ll have to find a way to switch that around. Keep in mind that the reason you are working is to make money.
Learning how to make money as a young kid is important but just as important to your business venture is parental guidance.
Parents can help their children succeed by mentoring them on some of the more complicated tasks, such as advertising and safe work conditions, as well as profit and loss.
There are a number of guides for parents who want to help their kids make money.
These guides can be helpful if a parent didn’t work to make money as a kid or if they believe that the changing times merits looking into some updated information.
See Related: Ways to Make Money at School
38 Fast, Easy Ways to Make Money As a Kid
Let’s get into some of our favorite methods for kids to make extra money. These methods are great for them to learn, grow and invest in themselves.
Learning by experience is a great way for a child to learn about money management, success and even failures.
In this section, we will highlight some core themes that will break out the different types of money-making opportunities, including:
- Traditional methods to make money
- Business ideas
- Online entrepreneurship ideas
- Online money-making opportunities
Let’s start with the online methods of money-making for children.
How Kids Can Make Money Online and At-Home
The Internet has opened up a global market that can benefit kids.
There are several ways to make money online as a kid if you know how to find those opportunities.
There are several companies that will pay you to take surveys. This is an easy way to make money for kids.
Our favorite option is Survey Junkie as you will have the most options to take surveys for cash.
Making money with surveys is all about optionality, so you’ll want to have as many ways to make money with surveys as possible.
Here’s a comparison of other survey sites that we like to use.
Top Survey Options to Earn
- InboxDollars: Make money in a variety of ways and get a $10 instant bonus. Claim InboxDollars Bonus Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becoming one of the best survey sites out there. Earn up to $10 per survey. Join LifePoints Now For a 10 point Bonus
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
If you know anything about video game programming, you can make your own video games and sell them online.
When you sell your video game creations on the Internet, there are no production or shipping costs because consumers download those games.
If you have a phone, you can play games on Mistplay for completely free.
Create Video Tutorials
If you like to make video blogs or guides, YouTube provides a place to upload that content, plus you can make money from advertisers.
As a kid, you can use Fiverr to do small video gig projects and start earning money right away.
Become an Online Tutor
If you are good at something, why not turn your skill into cash. There are opportunities for tutors in math, English, Spanish, history, as well as computer coding, and reading.
These are great ways for kids to learn and make money along the way.
Traditional Methods to Make Money as a Kid
These were the traditional ways for kids to make money. You probably grew up doing one or two of these at least at some point in your life.
Host a Car Wash
Although automatic car washes are popular, many people still prefer to wash their cars by hand.
Additionally, there are a number of people that will be more than happy to stop at a neighborhood carwash just so they can help local kids earn money.
If you want to make money as a kid, a fast way to do this is to put the word out in your neighborhood that you are willing to do yard work. This can involve mowing lawns, raking leaves, and pulling weeds.
Yard work is a great part-time job to earn extra money.
In the winter, there are always people who want their sidewalks and driveways shoveled. In the colder months, yard work dries up.
This is not a problem if you live in an area that gets a lot of snow during the winter.
Collecting aluminum cans is among the many easy ways to make money as a kid.
Not only can you recycle cans for money, but while you are collecting those cans, you are helping to keep your neighborhood clean.
Summer Lemonade Stand
Making money as a kid is easy if you want to run your own lemonade stand. During the summer, the kids and adults in your neighborhood are looking for something cool and refreshing to drink.
The cost of starting a lemonade stand is low and the financial reward can be substantial.
Hot Chocolate Stand
Much like the lemonade stand, there is the potential to make a lot of money selling hot chocolate. During the winter months, people want something warm to drink. Hot chocolate is perfect.
One of the best ways to make money as a kid is to sell your old toys. Instead of tossing those toys in the garbage you can turn them into cash. You can do this in the same way you sell lemonade in your front yard.
Offer to sell toys for others in exchange for a cut of the profit. Here are some of the easiest items that can be sold for a profit out there.
There are always people searching for someone willing to take care of their animals while they are away from home.
If a neighbor plans to travel out of town, offer to take care of their animals while they are gone.
Flea Markets or Farmer’s Markets
If you are the creative type, selling your creations at markets is another way for a kid to make money with no experience.
Here are some other clear, easy ways to make money in your neighborhood.
See Related: Ways to Make Money Without a Job
Business Ideas for Fast Ways to Make Money as a Kid
If you are a creative person there are several easy ways to make money as a kid. Talented people have a world of opportunity.
Whether you like to paint, sew clothes, or play a musical instrument, there will always be a market for your talent.
Sew Your Way to Success
If you have a knack for creating products like dresses, shirts, stuffed animals, you’ll be glad to know that these are all products you can sell.
If you are good at sewing, some of the products you can make and sell include:
- Hair Bands – These are popular with both kids and adults.
- Stuffed Animals – Everyone loves stuffed animals and these are not as difficult to make as you might imagine. Nowadays, you can purchase kits to make a variety of stuffed animals.
- Stuffed Animal Accessories – Along with stuffed animals, you can make accessories, such as clothes, hats, bed linens, etc.
- Refurbish Old Clothing – With a sewing machine and some imagination, you can bring new life to old clothing. Whether you use old clothing that your family no longer needs or second-hand clothing from thrift stores and yard sales, refurbished clothing is a great product idea.
- Design Your Own Clothing – A sewing machine is also useful if you want to design your own clothing. For those who can create unique or custom-tailored clothing, the sky is the limit.
See Related: Best Passive Income Apps to Make Money
Perform Shows for Money
If you play a musical instrument, sing, or have a talent for drama, you can use your talent to make extra money. Some of the ways to make money with your talent include:
- Performing at Special Events – Birthday parties and other special events are great for bringing in extra money if you play a musical instrument or can sing.
- Teach Others – Give music or acting lessons to others. Sharing your talent by teaching will give you a lot of pleasure, plus some extra money.
- Put a Band Together – If you know others who can play instruments, you can put a band together. With an entire band, not only can you play at special events for money but you can also write and record your own music. The Internet has opened up the music market, even for beginners.
- Puppet Shows – Putting on a puppet show is a great way for a kid to earn money fast. If you are an aspiring actor, your talent can help you make money via puppet shows. The kids in your neighborhood will like your puppet shows and there is always the potential to land jobs performing at special events. You can even post your puppet shows on YouTube to earn passive income.
See Related: Best Weekend Jobs to Make Extra Money
Make Money With Crafts
For those who love craft projects, there is no reason not to make money doing something you like. This is a great way to make money if you are an introvert. There are various ways for kids to make money selling their craft projects.
- Sell Holiday Ornaments & Decorations – Holiday craft projects can include everything from tree ornaments to handmade snow globes and Christmas stockings.
- Sell Birdhouses – You can either make your birdhouses by hand or purchase kits and add decorative touches. There are a number of people willing to pay good money for a fancy birdhouse.
- Sell Printed Items – Nowadays, it is easy to make printed items to sell online or at markets. Items you can print to sell include everything from printed t-shirts to mousepads.
- Jewelry – This is another craft that can help kids make money from home. Jewelry can be unique and beautiful. These are both traits that people love. Make jewelry from home and sell it online or at your local Farmer’s Market. Here is a guide to selling jewelry online.
- Knitted Clothing – If you have a talent for knitting, there is no reason not to turn that talent into a source of income. You can knit hats, scarves, blankets, sweaters, as well as numerous other products. Sell these online, as well as to friends and neighbors. You can also sell these products at local markets, even during the summer months.
- Decretive Storage – You can buy plain tins and decorate them with unique artwork and other embellishments. Decorative storage tins and bins sell well all year, but these sell especially well during the holiday season. Check out these other ways to earn quick cash during the holidays.
See Related: How to Get Free Christmas Money
Sell Your Art
If you are the artistic type, you may want to consider selling your artwork. People are always looking for unique art pieces so you might as well put yours on the market and make some money.
- Sell on Consignment – If there are art galleries in your area, you may be able to sell your artwork on consignment.
- Sell Paintings Online – There are a number of marketplaces online where you can sell your paintings.
- Sell Your Ceramic Creations – If you like creating unique ceramic projects, you can also sell them in many of the same places you can sell paintings.
I love the idea of selling things that I’ve already made. Here is a guide to how to make money on Etsy.
See Related: How to Make Money Without a Website
Make Money Selling Food
Cooking is a good way to make money. For children who like to cook, there are opportunities in the business world that includes everything from selling cupcakes or cookies via a refreshment stand or teaching others how to cook.
Some ways to turn your talent for cooking into money include:
- Holiday Treats – Making cookies and candy to sell during the holidays. Everyone likes homemade treats for the holidays but not everyone has the time to make these treats.
- Homemade Preserves – There is nothing quite as tasty as homemade preserves. If you have fruit trees or live near an orchard, creating these culinary delights is a great way to make money as a kid.
- Sell Produce – If you have some extra room in your yard to plant a garden or start a greenhouse, you can sell your produce to neighbors or at the Farmer’s Markets. It is also a good idea to visit local growers to buy produce at a discount. You can then sell the produce to your neighbors.
- An Online Cooking Blog – An online blog is a good option for kids to make money online. Parents can help their kids turn their love for writing and cooking into a moneymaking opportunity. Here’s how to come up with a blog name to get started. You can use a platform like Bluehost to get a site setup and running for only $3.95/month. They will even give you a free domain name if you use my link.
See Related: 6 Proven Ways to Get Paid to Go to School
Making money as a kid is easy if you like animals. Pet lovers are always looking for help with their animals.
Some of the ways to make money as a kid include:
- A Pet Bathing Service – If you have experience in bathing animals, you can turn that experience into a pet bathing service. This will provide a good reoccurring income.
- Cleaning Dog Messes – Although this isn’t one of the most enjoyable aspects of animal care, there are people willing to pay someone else for this service.
- Breed Small Animals – Whether you want to breed small dogs or hamsters, there is money to be made. Animal lovers are always looking for new pets.
Finding answers to how to make money as a kid isn’t nearly as difficult as it was even a few years ago. Today, there are many ways for a kid to make money, even if they are not old enough to work outside their home.
Teaching your kids about money and money management is one of the most important parenting tips to consider. It’s never too early to get started.
In short, there are lots of ways for kids to make money, regardless of age. It just takes some thinking and working with tools available, both physically and online.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How to Make Fast Money as a Kid
The fastest way to make as minor tends to be writing. Unlike videos or selling, writing can earn anywhere from $50 to $500 a week, depending on how much is produced.
And some sites now pay on-demand as soon as the payment is approved by a client. The minor just has to be a very good writer; there’s a lot of competition in this arena.
How to Make Money as a Kid in the Summer
Summer earning is possible as well; lots of folks need yard work, painting, babysitting and property cleanup. Just putting an ad on a site like Nextdoor can pick up work very quickly, from mowing to tree-trimming to weeding.
A teen just has to be willing to work outdoors and not get tired quickly working a half or full day’s manual work. The payout can be hundreds of dollars a week in the right neighborhood.
How Can I Make Money Fast as a Kid?
The simplest and fastest tool for money-making as a kid tends to be selling things people want. Auction sites are good for this, but don’t forget the classic garage sale.
If you’re willing to sell to move things, kids can make a few dollars fast on a Saturday with a well-stocked driveway sale.
How could a 12-year-old make money?
Obviously, not every type of work is ideal for every minor. Some jobs and work should wait for a minor to grow a bit. Manual yard work has frequently been a traditional go-to money-earner for 12-year-olds.
However, the Internet also makes it possible to expand a pre-teen’s options. Online, pre-teens can earn money by crafting and selling their artwork or goods through sites like Etsy.com.
tIf handy with a camera, pre-teens can try photography and image selling online. There is also product swapping: find cheap goods in used item stores and resell them online. One just has to be a good eye for what will sell.
Some teens are even doing well-selling T-shirts with their designs and imagery. The software to make these products are easy to download from Adobe (Photoshop, Indesign, Lightroom, and more) or others (GIMP, Pixlr).
Some kids are talented enough to create music products that sell digitally, and it doesn’t have to be Top 40. Many sounds and apps that provide calming music, for example, sell very well in a stressed-out world.
- 5 Ways to Make Money as a College Student
- Best Passive Income Ideas for College Students
- 70+ Ways to Earn Extra Money
- 20 Fun Things to do Online
Financial Wolves is a blog that provides the best ways to make money through side hustles to achieve financial freedom.